500g Pork Belly
1 tsp Ginger Powder
1 tsp Five Spice Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1/2 tsp Coarse Salt
- Score the skin of the pork belly about 1/2 cm deep. Clean and place it on a colander skin side up. Pour hot boiling water on the pork belly with skin side up. Drain and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Marinate the meat portion ( bottom / do not marinate the skin ) . Rub the marinate onto meat portion ( side and bottom ) in a sequence of beginning with Ginger powder , follow by 5 spice powder , white pepper and lastly salt.
- Leave it to dry ( preferably overnight in the fridge without any cover ).
- 10 minutes before frying , rub coarse salt on the skin and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil enough to cover the skin of the pork belly . Make sure that the oil is hot before frying.
- Fry the siu yuk with the skin side down. Fry the skin portion for 8-10 minutes until crispy and flip over to fry the meat portion for about 5 minutes . Do not over-fry the meat portion or else it will be too hard.
- Flip over to fry the skin again till real crispy
- Dish up and let it cool for 5 minutes . Chop into bite sizes and serve .
As you can see form the photos , the skin doesn't look crispy at all , simply because I am a " big head prawn "[ big head prawns refers to a forgetful person ] . I have forgotten to rub the coarse salt on the skin before frying it . ;)
Enjoy your homemade Roasted Pork Belly ...