July 22, 2011

BRAISED PORK BELLY IN SOYA SAUCE

Whenever I get the chance to hop in to any Chinese restaurant , I would always like to try their version of braised pork belly. So far , none of it has really capture my interest. My baby Ryan-Jay which is my latest smart creation( heehee .... ) is having sore throat and flu. I wanted to prepare a quick meal for my mom before sending Ryan to the clinic. After a while of thinking , something has remind me of the Braised Pork Belly that mom once prepared for my dinner years back when I was still a little girl with my 2 little " to chang " ......
Yummy .... my all time favourite ( without the fats ) .... with the thicken gravy ( i am not a fans of cornstarch so I don't use any ). Definitely will make the crowds speechless with the " near to perfection " taste .  Till you try it out yourself , you will know what I mean .... heehee.......



Ingredients

1 strip      Pork Belly ( Fa Lam Yuk/ Normally ready cut into long strips  )
3 cloves   Garlic ( wash and pat dry )
4 tbsp      Dark Soya Sauce
2 tbsp      Light Soya Sauce
1 pc        Rock Sugar ( small piece will do / about the size of 1 -2 cm )
1 tbsp     Cooking Oil
               Water ( enough to cover the pork belly )

Method

  • Wash and pat dry pork belly . Cut into chunks about 1/2 cm thick strips
  • Heat up oil in a work over medium high heat. 
  • Add in pork strip and stir fry till oil turns clear ( oil turns clear when pork strips turns dry ) 
  • Add in garlic cloves and stir fry for another minute , then turn to medium heat. Stir in dark soya sauce and light soya sauce . Stir fry for another minute till the sauce starts to bubble . 
  • Add in water enough to cover 3/4 of the pork . Stir to mix well. Once boil turn to low heat and add in rock sugar . Cover with lid ( do not cover tight leave a 2 cm gap ) and simmer over low heat. 
  • Stir every 3-5 minutes . Once gravy turn sticky and and turn off the heat and cover with lid for another 2 minutes before serving . 
  • Your Braised Pork Belly in Soya Sauce is ready to be served . Enjoy your meal. Best eaten with chili padi and chopped garlic dipping sauce . ( chop garlic and chili padi , add in soya sauce ) 



Simple yet tasty dish. Take my words , you will never regret trying this out. It will definitely makes you remember it ..... Thanx mummy for giving me this precious long lost recipe. 


Tips :  Adjust the rock sugar according to your own preference . Some like it salty sweet , some don't . So be smart to adjust to your own liking. I bought the rock sugar which has been cut to small pieces . I like it salty sweet so I will normally use 2 pcs of the ready cut small pieces of rock sugar. Adjust the amount of soya sauce to your own taste. Happy cooking ... ;) 

4 comments:

  1. І κnow this if off tοpic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming haѵіng a blog like yοurs wοuld сoѕt а pretty penny?

    ӏ'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any tіps or advicе would be greatly аpprеcіаted.
    Mаny thanks

    my web-sіte :: Arjun Kanuri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being surrounded by renowned schools including Cedar Primary School,
    Maris Stella High School (Primary), and the St.
    Andrew's Village suite of Kindergarten to Junior College education. the interlace condo

    ReplyDelete