March 22, 2013

BAKE ALONG #41 : CARAMELIZED ONION PULL PORK TURNOVER

Phewwww........... I remember it was only days away , and we are back to Bake Along again. This round , the theme will be baking turnovers . Oh my , they are so kind ya know. I am simply in love with puff pastry . Puff pastry is simply delicious to go with any fillings. I have tried so many varieties . Savory, spicy , sweet filling I have try most combination . Since I was feeling a bit adventurous this time, I was thinking maybe I can create my own version of pull pork to go with it .



I have to admit that I have never attempt to try any pull pork recipe before. I was browsing through some pull pork recipe online . Sigh..... all looks so delicious. Sadly , it's either I can only get 1 or 2 of the ingredients listed or none. My instinct told me to " Use whatever you can find in your fridge and kitchen ".. LOL... So I took out the smallest slow cooker I have and dump everything inside to cook for 12 hours . 



The smells of cooking pull pork is simply " Horrid " , I have to warn you, but I assure you the end results is simply so yummy you wouldn't mind the cooking smell at all . 

Caramelized Onion Pull Pork Turnover
Ingredients 
For the Pull Pork :
200g     Pork Loin ( or any pork you have ) 
1           Onion ( quartered ) 
2 cloves Garlic ( peel ) 
20g       Gula Melaka ( adjust according to own preference ) 
2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary / 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary ( chop ) 
2 sprigs Fresh Taragon ( chop ) 
1/3 cup  White wine
1cup     Chicken stock 
1tsp      Ground Cinnamon 

Method 
1/  Place pork into slow cooker follow by other ingredients . Cook on low for 8-10 hours 
2/  Dish up pork and shred with 2 works. Discard onion and garlic . 
3/  Return shredded pork into slow cooker and cook for another hour . 


For Turnover :
Store bought frozen puff pastry 
Pull Pork
BBQ sauce 
Cheese ( can be any cheese you have at home ) 
Caramelize Onion ( recipe from here
Egg Wash 

Method 
1/  Preheat oven at 220C . Line and grease baking pan
2/  Place 1 tsp of pull pork in the middle of a square puff pastry , add some BBQ sauce , caramelized onion and cheese . 
3/  Brush sides of the puff pastry with egg wash . Fold over to form a triangle and seal the side of the puff pastry with a fork. Poke a few holes on the pastry with fork . Brush top with egg wash . 
4/  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes on the lower third rack . Reduce oven temperature to 190C move the turnover to the top rack and bake for another 12-15 minutes 
5/  Cool the turnovers slightly before serving with your favorite cup of black coffee . Enjoy  


Everyone love these turnovers. None was left for me :( ... LOL.. Even the small guy at home love this . 

                                                         Photobucket

I am submitting post to Bake Along #41 : Turnovers hosted by Lena of frozen wings Joyce of kitchen flavours and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids




9 comments:

  1. Hi Abbygail
    Yes, making pulled pork in slow cooker is the best and so easy way! Your turnovers looks so perfectly baked and I loves in savoury taste too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby,
    Your idea of a pull-pork turnover is simply delightful! It looks very delicious! I have always wanted to try at making pull-pork too, perhaps one of these days.
    Thank you for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look so pro lah! I also must try and make turnovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. smell horrid? dont frighten me..hehe...so you made the puffs into different shapes? they look very nice and very nicely baked. The fillings will also be delicious too in burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby,

    Happy to have you baking along with us again! Hurray!

    Horrid smell?... sounds scary! Nevertheless, it must be delicious because nothing was left for you... LOL! - Ops! sorry that I shouldn't laugh :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog so inspiring for me. Thanks for sharing knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy these look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete