March 19, 2013

MALACCA NONYA CURRY LAKSA .......... SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE

Guess I have never mention before that I am actually a big fan of Curry Laksa. Give me anything that is curry laksa , I'll definitely "clean" it .. LOL.. My top most favorite will be Penang Curry Laksa and Malacca Nonya Curry Laksa . As I was browsing the web for some ideas to cook on Sunday , I stumble upon this yummy recipe about Malacca Nonya Curry Laksa . Browsing thru the recipe , the ingredients combination looks good and tasty , so I decided to give a try . 

The verdict : Mom says " very tasty " . Same answer from my brother and I love this so much . Will definitely cook this again . This curry laksa actually has a creamy and fragrant taste that will make anyone drooling even when you are cooking it. Believe it or not, it's actually super easy to prepare this curry laksa. Of course I won't give up tasting more diff laksa . Heehee.... Stay tune for more recipe soon .


MALACCA NONYA CURRY LAKSA recipe courtesy of The Serious Eat Team

Ingredients for paste:
10   Shallots, peeled and sliced
3"   segment Old turmeric , skinned
2"   segment Galangal 
8    stalks Lemongrass , sliced
20  stalks Dried chillies, soaked 
10   Candlenuts 
4 tsp Belacan 

Method : 
1/ Pulse all ingredients in a blender , add in some water if necessary 


For the broth:
1/2 cup Cooking oil
1litre     Prawn or chicken stock
2 cups   Coconut milk
20 pieces Tofu puffs, scalded in hot water to remove oil 
Salt to taste


Method : 
1/ In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 1/2 cup cooking oil. Sauté chilli paste till fragrant.
2/ Add stock and bring to a boil. Add coconut milk, tofu puffs, and salt. Stirring continuously, bring to a quick boil
3/ Turn off heat once broth comes to a boil.

To serve : 

Egg noodles
Vermicelli
200g   Beansprouts, blanched
1         Cucumber, julienned
500g   Prawns, boiled and peeled
Fishcake ( Optional ) 
20 Quail eggs, hard-boiled (Optional)
1 bunch polygonum leaves "daun kesum", 
Method : 
1/ Blanch noodles in boiling water and drain. Add noodles into a bowl, garnish with bean sprouts and cucumber. Ladle laksa broth over with some tofu puffs. Top with prawns, fish cake, quail eggs, and "daun kesum,". Serve with sambal.



For the Sambal:
10-12     Fresh red chillies ( adjust to own preference ) 
10 stalks Dried chillies, soaked
2 tsp       Belacan 
1 tsp       Salt
1/2 tsp    Sugar
6 tbsp     Cooking oil

Method : 
1/ Grind all ingredients into a fine paste . 
2/ Heat up oil , sauté sambal paste, stirring continuously till fragrant . Add salt and sugar . Dish up .  



Honestly , do you think you can say " No" to this pretty bowl of curry laksa? Nah , I won't for sure ... LOL 




13 comments:

  1. Wow, looks so delicious! For me, Malacca Nyonya Laksa is the best there is! Hahaha! We sometimes use see ham instead of prawns, and next time when you make this, instead of daun kesum leaves, try using young leaves of daun limau purut, fold in half lengthwise, cut off the centre vein, and slice very thinly across. Add that as garnish when you serve the bowl of this yummy laksa, it makes a whole lot of difference, try it! The kaffir lime leaves is a must in Malacca Nyonya Laksa! And we love lots of quail eggs too!
    Now you are making me crave for some Nyonya Laksa! Yours looks super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce , tq for the tips . I will try it the next time I cook this ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Abby,
      I meant bunga kantan, slice to very thin pieces. What was I thinking!! I guess I got distracted by your delicious bowl of laksa!

      Delete
  2. love that you used quail eggs and i also like laksa - will clear the bowl until there is no soup left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine, thanx for dropping by . Same here , I will clear the bowl too ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good. I have no idea about Malaysian food (I hope it is malaysian :) but this is awesome :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq for dropping by . ;) . This is one of the delicious Malaysian food. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love curries of any kind, but do not ask me to cook them lol! way too much work! This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq Jeannie. I used to have the same thinking . LOL... but for mom I guess I got no choice. heehee... Tq for dropping by . ;)

      Delete
  5. how to say "no"? this is mouth watering! me like jeannie too, love curries of all kind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh .. it looks so yum and tempting.. I originated from Malacca, love the food there .. Will try this recipe one day .. It might be this coming Sunday hahaha :) Thanks for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby,
    I just had Nyonya curry laksa in Malacca last week, but the taste doesn't suit me that well. I will try your recipe and hope that it will turn out good. The ones that they are selling at my place (KL) are from Penang Nyonya style, and it tastes really nice. Is there any difference between the Malacca and Penang Nyonya curry laksa recipe? Tq. Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this over the weekend. Quick q - did your spice paste end up grainy or was it a smooth consistency ?

    ReplyDelete