September 6, 2011

TEOCHEW FLAKY SPIRAL MOONCAKE

After my first try at making snowskin mooncake , I have the urge to try making a different version of delicious homemade mooncake : Teochew Flaky Spiral Mooncake .

Attracted by the spiral flaky look of the teochew mooncake , its a totally new challenge for me to try out this new recipe. Again to mention I am not a big fan of mooncake, yet it didn't stop me from exploring more mooncake recipes.Honestly I have not tasted any Teochew Mooncake before. It makes me really want to try this recipe immediately .

These spiral little mooncake is really tasty . Unbelievably tasty . Once you started eating you won't be able to stop. Heehee .... at least thats what my mom said. My little Ryan loves it too . Thats the best part of all.


LOL............  Ryan's wanted mama to include his pacifier in the photos . That is his beloved pacifier though.


TEOCHEW MOONCAKE   

Ingredients 

Water Dough
200g   Plain Flour
28g     Icing Sugar
A pinch of Salt
80g     Cold Butter
80g     Water

Oil Dough
180g   Plain Flour
A pinch of Salt
90g     Oil
1/2 tsp Pandan Essence

Filling :
450g   Pandan Lotus Paste
50g     Melon Seeds

Method 
  • Preheat oven to 185C . Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper
  • Mix pandan lotus paste with melon seed. Shape the pandan paste mixture into 25g each and shape into round balls 
for Water Dough :
  • Sift Flour , sugar an salt in a mixing bowl. Cut cold butter into the flour mixture using fingertips or food processor until mixture turns into crumbs .
  • Add in water to form a soft , non-sticky dough. Add flour if it is too sticky, to get the right texture. It should be soft and non-sticky. 
  • No need to knead the dough . It should be able to be shape into soft balls easily without sticking to fingers and hands. 
  • Cover and set aside to rest for 20 minutes. 
for Oil Dough :
  • Sift flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture , add in oil and pandan essence .
  • Draw in flour from the side to form a soft , non-sticky dough. Same as the water dough, add in flour if the dough is too sticky. 
  • Do no over-mix. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes .
To assemble :
  • Divide both water dough and oil dough into 10 portion each ( 10 portion water dough , 10 portion oil dough ) 
  • Flatten one piece of water dough and wrap one portion of oil dough in it . Pinch to seal edges.

  • Using a rolling pin, roll it flat into long strip . Roll up like a snail to form a cylinder, turn the dough 90 degrees, with the end facing up. Roll again into a long thin strip
  • Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter , cut the cylinder in the middle into 2 equal pieces. With the cut side facing down , flatten the dough, making edges slightly thinner than the centre. Leave a little hump in the centre in order for the dough to be evenly thick all around when wrapping the pastry
  • Wrap filling and pinch to seal. Try no to tug or pull too hard, otherwise the layers will tear
  • Place sealed side down on lined baking tray and bake for 30minutes until the top and bottom are a light golden brown
Enjoy your Teochew mooncake. It is really yummylicious!!

Recipe adapted from House Of Annie

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dad Hooper,

    Thank you for dropping by. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These looks really awesome! I been wanting to try this mooncake. Thanks fro sharing your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retail student loans people strategy has played in putting them in the pond.
    A rash, hives, coughing, wheezing, trouble breathing, runny nose and watery eyes often accompany these symptoms.
    Many companies call their relationship program a club, and some imports.


    Feel free to surf to my homepage - The Student Loan People

    ReplyDelete
  5. drug induced fatty liver disease drug induced fatty liver disease drug induced fatty liver disease

    my web page: treatment of fatty liver grade 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read so many articles or reviews about the blogger lovers except this paragraph is
    in fact a fastidious paragraph, keep it up.

    my page; Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey very interesting blog!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site; Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  8. Admiring the hard work you put into your blog and in
    depth information you offer. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted
    rehashed information. Great read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including
    your RSS feeds to my Google account.

    my blog post: Air Max Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey exceptional blog! Does running a blog
    similar to this take a large amount of work? I've absolutely no knowledge of programming however I was hoping to
    start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject however I simply wanted to ask.
    Cheers!

    My web page: causes of fatty liver

    ReplyDelete