Attracted by the spiral flaky look of the teochew mooncake , its a totally new challenge for me to try out this new recipe. Again to mention I am not a big fan of mooncake, yet it didn't stop me from exploring more mooncake recipes.Honestly I have not tasted any Teochew Mooncake before. It makes me really want to try this recipe immediately .
These spiral little mooncake is really tasty . Unbelievably tasty . Once you started eating you won't be able to stop. Heehee .... at least thats what my mom said. My little Ryan loves it too . Thats the best part of all.
200g Plain Flour
28g Icing Sugar
A pinch of Salt
80g Cold Butter
180g Plain Flour
A pinch of Salt
1/2 tsp Pandan Essence
450g Pandan Lotus Paste
50g Melon Seeds
- Preheat oven to 185C . Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper
- Mix pandan lotus paste with melon seed. Shape the pandan paste mixture into 25g each and shape into round balls
- Sift Flour , sugar an salt in a mixing bowl. Cut cold butter into the flour mixture using fingertips or food processor until mixture turns into crumbs .
- Add in water to form a soft , non-sticky dough. Add flour if it is too sticky, to get the right texture. It should be soft and non-sticky.
- No need to knead the dough . It should be able to be shape into soft balls easily without sticking to fingers and hands.
- Cover and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture , add in oil and pandan essence .
- Draw in flour from the side to form a soft , non-sticky dough. Same as the water dough, add in flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Do no over-mix. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes .
- Divide both water dough and oil dough into 10 portion each ( 10 portion water dough , 10 portion oil dough )
- Flatten one piece of water dough and wrap one portion of oil dough in it . Pinch to seal edges.
- Using a rolling pin, roll it flat into long strip . Roll up like a snail to form a cylinder, turn the dough 90 degrees, with the end facing up. Roll again into a long thin strip
- Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter , cut the cylinder in the middle into 2 equal pieces. With the cut side facing down , flatten the dough, making edges slightly thinner than the centre. Leave a little hump in the centre in order for the dough to be evenly thick all around when wrapping the pastry
- Wrap filling and pinch to seal. Try no to tug or pull too hard, otherwise the layers will tear
- Place sealed side down on lined baking tray and bake for 30minutes until the top and bottom are a light golden brown
Enjoy your Teochew mooncake. It is really yummylicious!!
Recipe adapted from House Of Annie