|The lemon zest is really taste good with the combination of poppy seed . Crunchy , crunchy lemony makes this cake special .|
2 large Eggs at room temperature
1 large Egg Yolk at room temperature
200g Yoghurt ( original recipe calls for 200g sour cream )
1 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
250g Cake Flour
160g Castor Sugar ( original recipe calls for 250g Superfine Sugar )
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
Lemon Zest from 2 Lemons
50g Poppy Seed
200g Unsalted Butter
1. Preheat the oven at175C twenty minutes before baking and set the oven rack in the lower third of
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the whole eggs, yolk, 1/4 cup of the yoghurt , vanilla, just until lightly combined.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds on low speed for about 30 seconds. Add butter and the remaining yoghurt. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and beat for another 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Starting on low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.The cake should start to shrink from the pan after removal from the oven.
Prepare the Lemon Syrup while the cake is baking
Juice from 2 Lemons
In a small saucepan or microwave, heat the sugar and lemon juice, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. Do not allow it to boil, cover it tightly to prevent evaporation.
As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, place the pan on a wire rack, poke the cake all over with thin skewer, brush the cake with 1/3 of the syrup. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 min. Invert it onto a serving plate. Brush the top and sides of the cake with remaining syrup. Cool completely and wrap airtight.
|Can you see poppy seed left on baby Ryan's cheek? Baby actually ate half of that slice of cake . Hu hu hu hu hu ......|
|Baby Ryan actually gives me the courage to explore more baking recipes . He is always my loyal fans ... Heehee|
I am joining Bake Along No. 19 which is organise by Frozen Wings , Kitchen Flavours and Bake for Happy Kids. Enjoy !