May 7, 2012

Bake Along #23 : Honey Walnut Cake

I was kind of  curious to try out this recipe. Honestly , this is my first time eating a honey cake. The results:   a very yummy cake. This cake has a very soft and moist texture. We really love this cake to the max. Again, I am always the last one to post for any blog event. For this round of Free & Easy Bake Along #23 , we are baking Honey Walnut Cake .
I was pretty concern about grinding the toasted walnut. After reading a few post about the ground walnut being lumpy after grinding it for too long, I was pretty stressed when I was about to press the 'pulse' button on my food processor . LOL.... yaya ... I know I am no more gutsy girl like I used to be . I am "aging".... OMG... Guess I gotta admit this yeah ... Heehee.. well I am pretty happy and proud to be a mother of three , so no regrets for not being a 'gutsy girl' anymore.
Lets get back to the cake. I actually plan to bake this cake again tonight as I really love this cake . We simply love the chewy and fluffy mouthfeel of this cake . If you don't mind having honey in your bake, feel free to try this cake. 

Honey Walnut Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman
Ingredients
1 1/2cups Walnut
1/3cup    Sugar
1cup      Unbleached All Purpose Flour ( I use cake flour )
1 1/2tsp  Baking Powder
1/4tsp    Salt
3/4cup    Unsalted Butter (softened)
6tbsp     Honey
3large    Eggs
1tsp      Lemon Zest (I use grated lemon zest from 1 lemon)
1/2tsp    Vanilla Extract
confectioners' sugar ( for dusting )

Method
1.Preheat the oven at 176C. Grease and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment , dust the sides of the pan and parchment with flour.
2.Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant in the pre heated oven, for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely.
3.Combine walnuts and 1 tbsp of sugar in the bowl of food processor and pulse a few times until the nuts are fine. Add flour, baking powder, salt and pulse  few times to combine.
4.In a large mixing bowl, add butter, honey and remaining sugar and beat on medium high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Make sure to scrap the sides of the bowl . Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
5.Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla. Add the nut flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mix until just incorporated.
6.Scrap the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake in pre heated oven at lower third rack until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry, about 35 to 40 minutes ( mine actually took extra 15 minutes to bake ) . If the cake starts to brown too much around the edges, loosely tent with foil after 25 minutes.
7.Let the cake cool in pan for 10 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack and then turn it right side up again to cool completely. Dust heavily with confectioners' sugar and serve.

Enjoy your cake yeah !!!





20 comments:

  1. Hi Abby, Glad that you enjoyed this cake! I can see the bits of walnuts in your cake, looks nice! This is a lovely cake, it's just that I do not really like honey used as the star ingredient in a cake! Thank you for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey babe, do you think maple syrup will do to replace honey for your case? I was thinking to use that too at first , after some tots , I was telling myself, well no harm trying honey first ... LOL

      Delete
  2. Yay you finally made it!! LOL just kidding :D.
    Totally agree. This cake is certainly very yummy and full of nuttiness. Love the flavour of honey. Your cake is looking great with bits of nuts poking through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anuja, you pulling my legs eh... LOL... well I love that ... I was in fear that the walnut will turn lumpy thats y ... LOL

      Delete
  3. Hi Abby,

    I think you did well with all your processor pulsing! No stress! No worries! You baked your cake very well! LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi babe, you are always kind to my cake eh... LOl

      Delete
  4. Abby I love the way you present it. Lovely cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi my dear, beautiful!! just like the rest of us!! hahahaha! i like you said that you enjoyed it to the MAX!! me too! not gutsy never mind, we ought to be a little 'lame' sometimes. I think in future this will be another choice of cake that i'll be making for friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi babe , I agree with the beautiful comment... LOL, no kidding, I really enjoy it to the max.

      Delete
  6. Looks amazing with walnuts & my favorite, honey! I love the tiny pieces of walnut & the texture of this cake. Looks like it's a winner cake again that I'm certainly trying this recipe soon for my coffee treat! Have a nice day, Abbygail! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq Kit... this is really a lovely cake to try ;)

      Delete
  7. oh how i love your first pic, such a perfect round shape you created, Abby :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely, I agree, the first picture is just perfect!

    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq Ola, nice to meet you here. Tq for dropping by ;)

      Delete
  9. so perfectly even top! I love looking at cakes like that! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq Jeannie. ;) .. I simply love this cake very much ;)

      Delete
  10. Envy the perfect top on your cake! Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete